LĀLĀKEA FOUNDATION is the host organization and fiscal sponsor for KAHOH 2018. Previous conference hosts include: Maliē Foundation (Kauaʻi), Lālakea Foundation (Oʻahu),), Kauahea Inc. (Maui Island), and Edith Kanaka‘ole Foundation (Hawai‘i Island). Link to Lalakea Site.
Founders and Honorary Hosts are:
Master Kumu Hula Dr. Pualani Kanaka‘ole Kanahele – Kumu Hula (Retired), Hālau O Kekuhi of Hilo, Hawai‘i
Hōkūlani Holt-Padilla – Kumu Hula, Pā`ū O Hi‘iaka of Kahului, Maui
Leinā‘ala Kalama Heine – Kumu Hula, Nā Pualei O Likolehua of Kapālama, O‘ahu (1940-2015)
Conference Goals of Ka ‘Aha Hula ‘O Hālauaola
- To provide an opportunity for kumu hula and practitioners to share knowledge and insight about Hawaiian culture through hula.
- To provide a learning and enrichment platform for hula practitioners and cultural learners from Hawaiʻi and around the world.
- To encourage the preservation of the ancient art forms of Hawaiʻi.
- To educate practitioners about the need to protect and nurture our fragile environment in order to ensure continual access to the plants and resources that are necessary to maintain our culture.
- To demonstrate our oral traditions, teachings and ways of transmitting knowledge through generations.
- To promote and showcase HawaiʻI Island as a distinguished destination and repository of authentic Hawaiian culture, history and renowned traditions of primordial hula knowledge.